Dr. Rusty V. Karst Assistant Professor
"Online learning is an essential component of education and will continue to grow in importance as the world shrinks through information technology developments, globalization and market hyper-competition."
- Ph.D. in Business Administration – University of North Texas, 2016
- Research focuses on international strategy and effects of institutions, among others, and has been published in leading international business and management journals such as International Business Review
- Prior to academia, successfully led small and large groups in diverse organizational contexts
- Able to marry theory and practice in course curriculum, drawing from industry experience and relevant research
In which online program(s) do you teach?
Which class(es) do you teach online?
MGMT 5350: Entrepreneurship and MGMT 5320: Organizational Behavior and Theory
What's the value of an MBA for today's professionals?
I believe an MBA is critical as a point of differentiation in our highly competitive market as well as from a developmental perspective. Having an MBA is increasingly a prerequisite for placement into management and leadership development programs as well as for promotion into management and leadership positions.
What's the best advice you could give your students?
It is important to have a balanced approach in developing and improving yourself, achieved through: (1) doing well in your courses, (2) networking and building relationships with classmates and professors and (3) being successful in your current worlds, whatever they may be.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in business or management?
- Emotional intelligence: Understand it and demonstrate it consistently across situations and contexts
- Empathy AND accountability: Be empathetic while holding yourself and others accountable for performance in a fair and equitable manner
- Team dynamics: Be able to create and potentially lead effective and efficient teams; understand when teams are better than individuals in getting work done
- Work/life balance: Embrace it fully
- Shadow of a leader: Understand the leadership/followership interaction and how you influence others through your actions over words
How do you see online learning affecting the future of education?
Online learning is an essential component of education and will continue to grow in importance as the world shrinks through information technology developments, globalization and market hyper-competition.
Why did you start teaching?
After a successful management career in industry, I obtained a Ph.D. in Management so I could help guide and develop students in and out of the classroom—through applied experiential learning and professional development.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
“The New One Minute Manager” by Blanchard and Johnson
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
In addition to really enjoying what I do at TAMU-CC, I am also an avid surfer and enjoy cycling on and off road.