Aspiring or experienced professionals with an interest in finance should consider a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in finance. With an online MBA in finance, you enjoy the benefits of an advanced business degree, but you also earn an extra level of specialization in financial areas that can jumpstart a new career or improve an existing one.
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) recently did a study of AACSB-accredited schools. According to the study, the number of MBA programs with a specialty in finance has increased. In fact, of the various MBA specialist programs available, finance saw the greatest increase in programs from 2009-10 to 2013-14.
MBA in Finance Overview
An MBA with a concentration in finance offers working professionals a chance to further their education, advance their careers and increase their earning potential. Students take core courses to expand their business knowledge, but they also take specialized finance courses. This combination prepares them for upper-level finance careers across a range of industries.
New technologies, globalization and other factors are making the financial world more and more complex. Businesses, nonprofit organizations and governments need people who can navigate that shifting financial landscape — they are looking for candidates with the specialized knowledge an MBA in finance can provide.
What to Expect in an Online MBA in Finance Program
The online MBA in finance includes advanced business and finance courses. Depending on their educational backgrounds and other factors, students may be able to earn their degrees in as few as 12 months. All classes are online.
Some examples of required courses in the MBA finance curriculum include the following:
- Organizational Behavior and Theory. Students study behavior within organizations and discuss topics such as interpersonal relationships and conflict management.
- Software-Based Business Solutions. Students learn some of the various business software options available and how to best choose among them.
- Operations Management. This course covers various aspects of manufacturing and service operations with a focus on developing operational strategies.
- Multinational Finance. This course covers various topics relating to international finance, such as exchange rate risk, international trade and foreign investment.
- Investment & Portfolio Theory. Students study financial markets, portfolio selection, investment goals and investment management techniques.
- Personal Financial Planning. This course focuses on personal finance topics such as savings, taxes, risk management and investment alternatives.
Benefits of an MBA in Finance
An online MBA in finance offers many benefits to students. The first is flexible time to completion; some students earn their degrees in as little as one year. Such a short time frame allows students to quickly put their degrees to use in their chosen careers, whether they are looking to advance in a current position or find something new. In addition, the online aspect of the program offers a certain level of flexibility that many students find beneficial.
An MBA in finance provides a competitive edge in the financial job market. Graduates can work not only in the financial field but many others as well. All companies have financial needs, which opens up possibilities in every field for workers with MBAs. Some possible career choices include the following:
- Financial controller.
- Chief financial officer (CFO).
- Senior financial analyst.
- Investment fund manager.
Many financial careers that require an MBA in finance offer salaries of $100,000 or more. According to job search site Monster, the median mid-career salary for graduates is $121,000.
MBA degrees with specialized concentrations provide the advanced business education professionals need for high-level business careers. In addition, students receive the specific knowledge and skills to pursue their chosen fields. The finance concentration in particular has been growing in popularity, for good reason. An online MBA in finance gives students a solid foundation for pursuing finance careers in every industry.
Learn more about the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi online MBA in Finance program.
Have a question or concern about this article? Please contact us.