Dr. James Cato Adjunct Faculty
"An MBA provides advanced and flexible management skills. It can help the graduate develop an extensive professional network, command a higher salary and realize important leadership skills. In essence, an MBA gives the graduate a business advantage over a non-MBA job applicant."
- Doctor of Education – Nova Southeastern University, 2008
- Master of Science in Nursing – Old Dominion University, 1995
- Master of Health Science – Texas Wesleyan University, 1990
- Certificate in Nurse Anesthesia – Harris Hospital School of Nurse Anesthesia, 1983
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing – Southern Illinois University, 1978
- Executive Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer for several major U.S. health systems
- Global VP and Chief Nursing Officer for a major health information technology company
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Executive Nurse Fellow
- Wharton Fellow
- Published in numerous journals and have coauthored a chapter in a textbook
- Have served on a variety of professional boards
- Held adjunct faculty status at the University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University and Florida Gulf Coast University
In which online program(s) do you teach?
Which class(es) do you teach online?
HCAD 5312: The Health Care System and HCAD 5325: Health Care Financial Management
What's the value of an MBA for today's professionals?
There are numerous reasons that one might seek an MBA. For example, an MBA provides advanced and flexible management skills. It can help the graduate develop an extensive professional network, command a higher salary and instill important leadership skills. In essence, an MBA gives the graduate a business advantage over a non-MBA job applicant.
What's the best advice you could give your students?
Think of your MBA as an investment rather than a college degree. The more you put into it, the more you will get out of it.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in business or management?
One quality that I feel is important to be successful in business or management is the ability to think beyond the obvious. Finding new and innovative ways to lead and manage today's business will set this person apart from others. Innovate!
How do you see online learning affecting the future of education?
I think online learning is the future of education. Today's—and certainly tomorrow's—students are mobile and expect innovative technology to support them on the go from wherever and whenever they choose to learn. Online learning provides a wealth of advantages that traditional learning may not afford the student.
Why did you start teaching?
Teaching has been part of my professional job since 1985. I started teaching full-time after I semi-retired in 2015 and have been teaching part-time adjunct since 2017.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
“Quality by Design – A Clinical Microsystems Approach” by Nelson, Batalden and Godfrey
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I live on a ranch in North Texas where I raise horses, goats, alpacas, a pig, dogs and cats. I am a dyed-in-the-wool animal lover and advocate and enjoy the outdoors and wide, open spaces.